3.24.2009

Roommates

I miss having roommates!  It is 10:06 pm as I begin writing.  If I were still in college and lived with roommates, I would not be sitting by myself in the dark as I am now.  Chances are that I would be doing one of the following:
  • Watching a movie with my roommate.
  • Looking through magazines with my roommate.
  • Venting about classes/boys/life to my roommate.
  • Listening to my roommate as she vents about classes/boys/life.
  • Praying with my roommate (this was one of my favorite things to do)!
  • Tormenting my roommate by trying to cuddle with her after ten pm (I love to cuddle, but for some reason I always had roommates who did not appreciate it the same way I do - someday I will have a roommate who will like cuddling with me).
  • Making a snack with my roommate and trying to find ways to justify eating junk food after 8:00 pm. 
  • Doing homework in the living room with my roommate.
  • Drinking hot chocolate with my roommate out of matching sea lion mugs that were foolishly and wonderfully purchased online after drinking a couple glasses of wine (but clearly not wine because I went to Bethel...wink).
  • Picking out my outfit for the next day and asking my roommate for feedback.
  • Encouraging my roommate.
  • Listening to my roommate's encouragement.
  • Having "on that note" with my roommate. Side note: this was a practice that was unique to Stephanie and me.  We would always talk to each other when we were in bed before we fell asleep.  One night we were talking and the conversation got so awkward that one of us just said, "Well, on that note...goodnight."  The phrase stuck and that's how we ended every night.
  • Brushing my teeth with my roommate.
  • Walking around my apartment in my unmentionables just to get a reaction from my roommate.
  • Baking cookies with my roommate.
  • Sharing my deepest thoughts, struggles and joys with my roommate and listening to her do the same.
  • Having a sleep over...every night!
Since I have graduated from college my life has changed dramatically.  It is not because I no longer have homework, or because I have no job, or even because I've been blessed with Nate, but because I no longer have the companionship of a roommate.  I love Gloria, but she's not the same.  I miss living with the girls.  Yes, it was a pain in the neck at times, but overall it brought me wonderful joy!

1 comment:

I believe in truth, action and the cocktail hour said...

No offense, but if you do shit like that- or if you ever use the word 'undies' again- I will never be your roommate.

But I'll always be your best friend.

KISSES!

-me.

p.s. I'll be home mid-late May and hopefully again for the 4th of July. I have a list of restaurants that I want to go to and I can't wait to walk around Lake Harriet! I love [summer in] Minnesota!

p.p.s. Did you know that Minneapolis is the most literate city in the country? Why do we not have more publishing houses in the twin cities? St. Paul is fourth and Boston is tenth. I guess I like literacy.