3.03.2009

for such a time as this

Ever since I played Esther in a school play in 5th grade I have had a special interest in this Biblical figure.  I have always had an interest in Jewish tradition.  Perhaps it is because I have a very very small fraction of Jewish blood in me.  Maybe it is because Mrs. Allison, the Bethany Academy music teacher, used to teach us about Passover, Purim, Hanukkah and other Jewish traditions.  It could also be that it is the roots of our Christianity and it is important to understand.  I don't know why it fascinates me, but it does.  Jewish traditions give us the chance to remember and reflect on what our God has done.  God is good and we must not forget it!

Back to Esther.  I was just reading through Esther 4 where she finds out about Haman's plot to kill the Jews and Mordecai (her uncle) tells her she needs to talk to the king.  The thing is that even though she is the Queen, it is against the law to approach the king with out him summoning her.  By "against the law" I mean that she could literally be put to death.  So Esther has the most legit excuse in the world to cop out of her calling, but it didn't fly with Mordecai. 
What would Ben Tipler say?  I don't want excuses, I want results.  Here's what Mordecai said,
"Don't think for a moment that because you're in the palace you will escape when all other Jews are killed.   If you keep quiet at a time like this, deliverance and relief for the Jews will arise from some other place, but you and your relatives will die.  Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for such a time as this?" (4:13-14)
Oh snap.  Talk about a chilling reminder that the only reason we are where we are is because God needs us there.  Some how this makes my worries seem so trivial.  Praise Jesus for that reminder.  Beth Moore reminds us, "I had to accept that I was not called to an easy life.  I was called to a purposeful life.

Side note: Purim is coming up.  I think I blogged about Purim last year because I was reading a book about a woman who was figuring out her religion, switching between Orthodox Judaism and Christianity.  Purim is March 9th this year.  More to follow.  

1 comment:

The Colonel said...

Thanks for the recognition on the quote Sarah Jean!

I've also always enjoyed the book of Esther as well, it's a great mix of jewish history and courageous action.